Thursday, May 31, 2012

Our Stone Garden.

This week, it was time to start the landscaping around the deck. We knew we wanted a more modern look so decided to go with perennial grasses and stone. I'll admit I was nervous, I love flowers and mulched gardens but felt a different look would suit the design of our deck much more. It's good to go out of your comfort zone from time to time!

First off, we did what I think was the toughest job yet: removing the sod. Luckily Stephane did most of the work. It's really heavy! Plus, where do you put it all? Currently it's hiding in a corner against the fence. It will be a job just to get it out of there!



Next we used an edging around the perimeter. Apparently this keeps the weeds away but I'll believe it when I see it. Nonetheless, it provides a nice clean edge to work with. Then we laid down a weed barrier over the whole area.

We picked up two different grass perennials at the garden center. Karl Foerster, which is a feathered reed grass and should grow 5 feet tall, providing us with some privacy on one side of the deck. We also set in some Blue Oat grass which will fill the areas in between. We cut the weed barrier, dug a hole and filled it with some nutrient rich garden soil, then planted the perennials. They looks pretty measly now but I have high hopes! (No photos of the process since we did this part on a rainy, cold evening.)

Next up, we filled the area with pea stone. Loading up the wheelbarrow, dumping and spreading. I figure we've done three tonnes at this point. Needless to say, I'm a tad sore. I was kind of in my glory though.. I love that stuff!


The lighter color is close to what it will really look like. We had done that part the night before so it's drier. The stone is wet where it has just been applied. We plan to add a small tree where Stephane is standing and a hedge along the walkway.



After fiddling around with the stone a while, raking it over and over to smooth it out, we added our simple slate walkway.


 Each piece is actually much closer together than they appear in the photos. Must be the angle of the shot.


Still more work to do yet! Check out the pile of pea stone still to use. At first we though we ordered too much but maybe not! I sort of hope not.. a pain to get rid of!!


It's been a job but we've enjoyed spending our evening outside and seeing it transition little by little. I think it's a bit Asian inspired but Stephane thinks it's Arizona chic:) Still lots to do but we're getting there! I'll be back with another update next week!

Last chance to enter the Empire Patio Furniture Covers giveaway! Go here to enter. Contest closes Friday at 10pm AST.


12 comments:

  1. Your stone garden looks lovely! This gives me ideas on what we should do for our little backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's looking so so great! Love the clean modern look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks awesome so far. Loving the slate walkway!

    Now I think I need to get outside and work on my backyard..... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are looking great! I'll bet those grasses will grow quickly and in a few years will completely fill your space. I know you two are going to enjoy entertaining on your new deck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Jane & Steph! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it's looking great! What a transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's looking so good! i've never had the courage to do much work outside, but i always have landscaping envy. maybe next summer i'll bite the bullet and get my hands dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stone garden looks great! And I LOVE your deck :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you built your deck around that tree. I'm curious though to see your "deck by night" with those tree-lights on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The garden looks great! Are you planning to grow herbs in your garden?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! AWESOME DECK! It’s very Zen-like! Brings the feel of tranquility and peace all around! Kudos to you for having such a great place! If I had that kind of place in my yard, it will definitely be my favorite place. :D

    - Kylee Groves -

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, Kylee, it certainly has a Zen-like ambiance. How’d you come up with that design, Jane? It’s really unique and very serene. :D I love it! Thanks for the idea! I might do this the next time we’re going to remodel our deck.

    ,Angelina

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)