Monday, June 4, 2012

This Year's Annuals and a Winner!

What a beautiful weekend! We've been spoiled the last few weekends with sunny skies and warm temperatures. A great treat after a rainy cold week, here in PEI.

We spend the weekend working outside on the deck, landscaping and I found some time to fill my container pots with annuals. Buying flowers and planting is my favorite part of spring. Let me preface this to say that I never have any luck with my pots. I use good soil, Miracle Grow and water regularly but they always seem to look overgrown and sickly. I'm hoping that this is my year. Maybe I've learned from my failures and will come out on top. Must think positive!

Here is what I planted and I'll report back in a month's time on their progress.



Both of these pots are on the back deck and will get lots of sunshine. I chose sun loving annuals. The first pot has the yellow Bidens as well but they are not yet blooming.

The plants include:

Bidens
Purple Fountain Grass
Diamond Frost
Icicles
Blackie Ipomoea (Potato vine)

To my Canadian friends, you have to pick up one of these at Superstore (Loblaws)! $10 for a large pot of mixed lettuce greens. You take leaves as you need them and it continues to grow back all summer. Needless to say, we had lots of salad this weekend. Yummy! Thanks to Jana for the heads up on this one!


Here is the large pot at my front door. It doesn't get as much sun as the ones in the back so I chose shade/part shade plants.

These plants include:

Nonstop Yellow Begonia
Double Impatients
Purple Magilla
Calibrachoa (mini petunias)
Marguerite Ipomoea (limey green potato vine)



I'm crossing my fingers that they turn out well this year. My sister Julie is the queen of container gardening (well.. gardening in general really). Her pots are stunning every year! Apparently, she inherited the green thumb!

On the topic of flowers, I also have to share a peek of the potted azaleas in my dining room. I picked up this pot at Superstore a few weeks ago and it's continuing to bloom. Such a great pop of color.




And finally, thank you to everyone who entered my giveaway courtesy of Empire Patio Covers! The lucky winner is Melanie @ Live from B5! Congratulations! I'll be in touch with the details!
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh it's going to look wonderful. I love Bidens in containers for the summer they perform so well in the full sun.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your planters are looking lovely Jane! I wish I had a green thumb like you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yay! Thank you so much Jane! I look forward to hearing from you! (and your pots look great too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love azaleas! They remind me of my grandma! She had many of them in her house. Yours look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These came out great. Love the lettuce idea too! I'm going to have to look around for some near me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those azaleas are looking *fabulous*!!! I'm actually tempted to try some of those in our house after seeing how great yours look...so in love with that *color*!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Superstore lettuce pots! I have one and I think I need another. We're eating it too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely one of my favourite parts of spring too! Your potted annuals look fantastic - I haven't done much container planting, but you're definitely inspiring me to try it. Oh, and thanks for the heads up about the Superstore lettuce pot!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)