Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Many Lives of Our Front Door.


I'm stumped with regards to my front door. It's the home's original door and I really like it lot. For efficiency reasons, I've considered replacing it but I really like the charm and I find it suits the home well so it's stayed over the years.

When I first bought the house, I painted the door green.Why, I'm not so sure, since I don't even particularly like green but I really liked how it turned out! It took some time for some others (my parents), but most came to love it. Others not so much. It was pinned a lot on Pinterest so I think some shared in the love!

Next, I decided to paint it a bright peacock blue. It was terrible.

Then, I decided on a soft blue grey. Even worse.

Worst of all, the blue grey paint started bubbling shortly after I painted it and I ended up having to strip the door with some scrapers and a heat gun. I remember that day so well...

It was also back in October so repainting, as the weather was starting to get colder, was not a great idea. Therefore, the bare wood door stayed that way all winter, into the spring and it's still that way today.

 

Now, I'm appealing for your help. Do you have any great front door colors that could work for me? Keeping in mind that I have a charcoal grey trim around the windows, door frame and the porch railing. 

The other option is sanding the door down and staining it. It could look really cool but a bit more work.

I'm seriously at a loss. I need someone to tell me what to do! And while you're at it, I need new house numbers and a door mat :)


23 comments:

  1. omigosh I love your door exactly as it is!!! I love that weathered ancient look. I'd just add a satin clearcoat and leave it like that.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you paint it the same charcoal color as the trim?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that! Hmm.. now you've got me thinking!

      Delete
  3. If you want it to blend in, I agree with Elizabeth - the same colour as the trim. If you're looking for stand-out colour, I think yellow would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you think about yellow? I think it would call attention to your wonderful old door and really complement the other paint colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Classic red? I think a blue based red (like cherry/cranberry) might look charming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it just the way it is! Or like the previous comment, I think classic red would look charming as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love yellow for a pop of color! but i am not sure that feels like you? i do like as is also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys have the best curb appeal ever. I mean, your home is a beauty! So much character! Have you thought of yellow or a classic red? I think those would pop nicely and go with the trim too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww.. thanks! The consensus is definitely one of the two!

      Delete
  9. Just came across this picture and it reminded me of your house.
    http://theinspiredroom.net/2014/06/10/benefits-small-space/

    ReplyDelete
  10. either the natural finish or red. red or dark gray house numbers in a classic font. grey and white chevron stripe doormat--JT in TX :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your house is so cute! I agree with others that a yellow or a brick red would look really nice. If you're feeling adventurous, a pinky coral or muted turquoise could be really fun. Can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love yellow and my sister is sold on coral:)

      Delete
  12. We inherited a plum door at our previous house (similar in heritage to yours) and fell in love. A colour we never would have picked ourselves, but one that we ended up adoring and recommending to many others. Check out 'heritage collections' in some of the commercial paint lines - you might find something you like! Good luck - can't wait to see what you end up with.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your door, as is, is really gorgeous. Have you thought about black? I always loved black + white + gray together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE black doors! I'm just unsure if it will stand out enough with the grey trim?

      Delete
  14. I was thinking yellow too! Kind of like this one: http://houseandhome.com/design/photo-gallery-editors-favourite-fall-paint-colours?page=15

    Or really dark grey, almost black...

    ReplyDelete
  15. That door looks amazing. That ancient look just suits the rest of the house so so well. My wife wants me to do something similar with our door but it seems so hard to find something that looks as good as yours does. What an inspiration this blog has been. Keep up the great work and look forward to more.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)