Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Sticky Paint Update.

Some of you have been asking for an update on the dresser I painted a couple of weeks ago. In case you missed it, here is a before photo of the dresser. It was nice, solid wood antique piece covered in a layer of creamy white paint.


After some consideration, I decided against painting it my go-to white and selected a dark moody grey with blue undertones (Jet Set ~ Debbie Travis). I loved how it turned out but there was a problem. I used paint that I found in my basement. I have so many cans, from so many projects, that I couldn't remember where it came from. The problem was that the paint didn't seem to want to dry. It remained tacky over several days of waiting. Hmmm.. what next?


I knew there could be several reasons for while this was happening (paint had gone bad, too much colorant in the paint, etc) but I narrowed it down to finding out that the particular line of paint had a history of this. Good to know! :) I turned to my friends in the blogosphere, pleading for some advice. Was there a solution without having to strip it? I was desperate.

Which led to this idea. What about putting a layer of water based varnish on top to seal the paint? Worth a try. Well, it worked, in a sense. It sealed the paint but the moisture did not allow the varnish to dry properly and I had rough white bumps all over the dresser.


I was determined. I'd just sand off the rough spots and now that it was sealed, I could just add one more coat of the paint (mixed in a good paint) and it would be perfect! Right?.. nope. Guess what happens when you sand sticky paint? It just peels right off. {Insert tears of frustration here}

That's when we ended up dragging the dresser out to the shed and doused it in stripper. This was my first experience stripping a piece of furniture and I found great satisfaction in the process. Try to tell me you don't want to get scraping that paint right off!



I think I inherited my interest from my dad. Did I ever tell you he is the master of antique refinishing? Which leads to the next part. All the paint was removed and we gave it a quick sanding all the while realizing that it would be silly to plaster paint over it all over again. So the decision to refinish was born. So much for mulling over paint colors, this dresser is going original! 


So we packed it up and headed to dad's garage. Who am I kidding? He knows what he is doing so why not leave this part to him. I am actually really excited about it. I love painted furniture but it's nice to have some pieces that are real wood. There is something grown-up about it? Plus, I still think it will go perfect in the bedroom makeover. Which is why this problem project all came to be after all!

My Dad is a busy man though and there is lots of sanding to be done before it can be stained and varnished. I'll try to be patient:)

23 comments:

  1. Woo Hoo! Dad rescue -how great is that. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed it looked that good after stripping! Can't wait to see your dad's magic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, I can see it now - we'll be stripping furniture together! ;)

    Can't wait to see the reveal after your father is done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was loving that gray paint for a minute! It looks like it's going to be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you remaining upbeat and seeing a positive coming out of that experience! And how fortunate you have a "go to guy" that will ensure the refinished chest is perfect :)

    I've had a variety of experiences with paint not quite drying, like mirrors sticking to walls months after they were painted. So frustrating and I never understood why that happened, but having to strip a whole chest, wow, that takes the "bad paint" prize (so sorry for you).

    Just wondering, what product did you use to strip the chest, so if I ever have to go that route I have a tip!

    Robin
    happilyhomeafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color of the original wood! I think your choice to refinish it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! I love that it is a piece you and your dad worked on together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. good call-- I think the wood is going to look absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a mess! Maybe I should clean out my paints!! But that wood looks very pretty, you made the right decision not to paint again. Can't wait to see it all done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I can't believe how the paint bubbled up with the stripper. I've never used stripper before, and had no idea! I like your idea of going back to natural with this piece, and I think it's going to look amazing. Aren't Dad's the very best?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So frustrating, but hopefully you'll end up with something even better in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agh... *insert head ache* I'm sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been there sister! And like you, I have a great refinisher/dad. I'm so glad he'll help out. Its going to look great. The wood looks to be beautiful. Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not to get too sappy - but some things happen for a reason! I think it is going to look incredible stained. I love the media stand we stained instead of painting - and the stained dresser will look so warm with your wall colour. Cant wait to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! My mom did this a long time ago and it turned out so nice! Can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the natural wood will look great in your room. Can't wait to see the final result!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How awesome to be doing this project with your Dad! I think it's going to look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This seems to be a great site which offers Law Firm Interior Design, Interior Design Dallas, Law Office Interior Design,GSA Interior Design And GSA Interior Design Texas...i had been relying on Lauckgroup.com earlier and they offered good stuff. You will be glad you decided to work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad I'm not the only one this every happens too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I have had that happen too but when I painted latex over an unknown paint. Argh! Had to scrape and sand! Nice to have a dad that is handy like that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love that you decided to strip and refinish it vs. repainting. As much as I love painted furniture, it's so nice to see the beauty in natural wood restored. I just finished stripping and staining the stair spindles in my house. It was a lot of work, but well worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest
    twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.
    Feel free to surf my weblog ; diets that work

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)