Sunday, October 17, 2010

Porch Cabinet Makeover

This weekend the cabinet in the porch got a bit of a makeover.

cabinet on move in day.
It was originally cream when I moved into the house. The finish was so chipped and dirty, it just had to go. It was one of the first projects that I tackled when moving into the house. I decided to paint it a grey-blue. I knew even before the 2nd coat that it just didn't work.

Next, it got a couple of coats of glossy black. It actually looked kinda sharp and I received lots of compliments on it. It's been like that for 2 years now. But in the end, it just wasn't me. It seemed to dark and imposing in the tiny room. I had a picture but unfortunately it got deleted :(
Last week, I got home from work and decided it was time to ditch the black. The cabinet got a coat of primer. I felt instantly better about it.
I also decided to prime the inside of the cabinet, since it had never been done and was the original dark woodwork.

inside before primer
This weekend, I finished painting the whole cabinet, in and out, my favorite glossy white (ICI Natural White). It is like a breath of fresh air. I've said it before - there is nothing a little white paint can't fix- and in this case, I think I'm right. It should have been white from the start!
The hardware is the original. Underneath all that paint were some rustic brass pulls.


Then, I lined the back of each shelf with black and white scrapbook paper.


I thought about using wallpaper but scrapbook paper is inexpensive and easy to work with.
I just attached each sheet with double sided tape in the corners. The patterns don't line up perfectly, like wallpaper would, but with the cabinet full of stuff you will never know!
Here it is full of the kitchen items. I need the bottom right for extra food storage but left it out for the picture... it looked nicer without the rainbow of boxes and cans:)



I really like how it turned out and it will be easy to remove if I get tired of it.

This whole room is getting a makeover so stay tuned for the results!

13 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic; what a beautiful job!

    S
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I think the white is a perfect choice; love the look of the different scrapbook papers in the back! And it looks good with your jars, etc. too. Where did you get the glass jars? I love the shape.

    Regarding the black, I tried using it as an accessory color in my kitchen when I had maple cabinets. I found a print with gold and black and while it looked stunning, it just wasn't me so I totally understand changing the cabinet to white. I think the white goes better with your new kitchen and fits in better with the vintage feel of the house. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So THIS is what you were talking about...I remember the black, it was sharp...but the white is perfection. And the scrapbook paper, genius! Such vision, such vision! You really are gifted Jane:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the white! It loks perfect! I am on a white kick right now. I alsoc love the scrapbook paper.
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cabinet looks beautiful! The hardware looks great as well! It's hard to believe that they were that lovely hidden under the paint!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! If I were you, I would keep the cabinet doors off so that you could look at the pretty scrapbook paper all of the time!! :) Great job!

    And thanks for stopping by! I'm glad to have found your blog- it's too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously cute! You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Jane, I love the white on the cabinet. You are right about it not looking so heavy, etc. it looks wonderful.

    I love your projects :)

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm loving this!!!
    THanks for your visit today, loving your blog!
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hard work.. but you have got a great result.. a fantastic home.
    Felicidades.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE how the inside of your porch cabinet turned out..I think the black and white patterned paper looks amazing. I hope it's okay, I just finished a paper crafts round-up showing ways to use decorative paper for home decor and just couldn't help but feature your gorgeous cabinets and how you used the paper to line the interior.. You can see it here:
    http://jamiebrock.hubpages.com/hub/20-DIY-Home-Decor-Ideas-using-Decorative-Paper#

    Thank you so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)