Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Fireplace Facelift.



Remember when I talked about painting the hearth of my fireplace? I was inspired when I saw one similar to mine on Erin's blog. If you follow me on Instagram (modernjane), you may have seen the above photo. Proof that I finally got around to doing it! Now that it's finished, I can't believe I didn't do it a long time ago. It didn't take long at all and I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Before:


I vacuumed the tile and washed it really well, then taped very carefully all around the hardwood floor.

 I apologize for the gross bone in the corner of the photo. We are those people who give their dogs pig knees and pretend it's not gross that they carry it all around the house for weeks at a time.


I used a paint brush to cut in and a foam roller for the rest. I used a Rustoleum flat black paint and the can recommended only doing one coat. Within 20 minutes I was done. Only thing to do was to wait for it to dry and to keep Beaufort off of it.. easier said than done!:)

After:



Much better, wouldn't you agree?

14 comments:

  1. Definitely better! Don't you love facelifts with that kind of impact and that end up being easy too? My favorite! My fireplace makeover has been the exact opposite! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! Isn't it funny how we often put off the simplest projects the longest?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good! We also painted our fireplace and it was such a great change. Of course, it is still on our "to do" list but painting it pushed it way to the bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I just finished doing an update on mine. Will have on my blog this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wondering if you actually USE that fireplace? We have the exact same tiles and I'd love to paint mine too, but not sure if the paint can stand up to the heat. Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, meant to leave contact info: ca.powell@rogers.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Much better! Amazing what a coat of paint can do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great, and if you painted the inside with heat resistant paint, I think the entire fireplace would stand out more. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that update looks amazing! It's amazing that such a small change can make such a dramatic difference!

    :)

    Merry Christmas, girl!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)