Friday, September 25, 2015

DIY Yarn Wall Hanging

rachel peters photography

A big hello to you all after yet another long break. I'm here with a rare Friday post for you... a diy post at that!

If you follow Modern Jane on Facebook or Twitter, you may have seen that our home was featured in a magazine this month. That was all kinds of exciting but I'll share more details on that next week! The point being that a few nights before the photo shoot (which was just before our wedding = crazy time), we realized we had not yet figured out what to do with the big empty wall staring at us in the dining room.

Cue last minute diy!

stephen harris photography

So the empty wall is actually to the left of what you see here but I really like this photo.
It's my blog, I can do what I want :)


stephen harris photography
There we go! That wall was mostly empty for the last year. Now our simple wall hanging fits perfectly in the space. I love the soft colors that go so well with the rest of the room. 

stephen harris photography
Want to make your own? It's so easy, you really should. I should have taken more photos of the process but I think it's fairly straightforward.

Here is what you'll need:

one piece of copper pipe
yarn in your choice of colors (I used cream, light grey and beige), cut into long strands
sharp scissors

That's it!

What to do:

1. Cut a piece of copper pipe to the length you want. (you'll need a pipe cutter to this)
2. One color at a time, cut some strands of yarn twice the length (plus a little extra) you'd like the final product to hang.
3. One strand at a time, grab the middle of the yarn piece and place the u-shape loop under the pipe. Grab the two ends and pull through the loop. Pull tight. Repeat, changing colors to achieve the pattern you want.
4. Feed one piece of yarn through the pipe and tie with a knot. Use this to hang on the wall.
5. Using sharp scissors, trim to your desired shape.

Easiest diy ever!  Okay, I'll admit it's a little bit time consuming but once you get a system going, it goes quickly. I even came home one evening to see Steph working away on it on him own. I think he may have been worried that my procrastinating ways might let it go by the wayside. He likely wasn't wrong.

Have a great weekend! Those of you here on PEI, don't forget to check out the Etsy Made in Canada Market on Saturday. So many amazing local artisans to check out. I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Pretty!! I love this and will definitely be making one myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)