Tuesday, August 26, 2014

PEI Cottage Vacation.

It's me again! The absent blogger.


I had big plans for August. I was going to paint my living room, figure out what to do with the front door, touch up the trim in the porch.. and the list went on. Instead, I was really busy simply enjoying summer. My sister and brother were both home for a couple of weeks, which meant lots of family barbecues, evening bonfire, antiquing, shopping, etc. We sure know how to relax.

Family reunion
 
We ended their visit with a huge family reunion on my father's side. It was so great to reconnect with some of my cousins that I haven't seen in years. There are 58 of us cousins, not to mention all the great-grandkids who've joined the mix. (My dad is one of 14 children!).

Steph and I decided to extend the reunion weekend by renting a cottage for the whole week, not far from the reunion grounds. The cottage was more like an old house and has completely equipped with everything we'd need and big enough for the six of us who stayed there plus, a few others who joined us on a couple of nights.


The path to "our beach".
 
We spent most of the week on what we called "our beach" since there was hardly anyone there. I now say it's my favorite on the island. You could walk for miles on the white sandy beach and the water was cool but clear of seaweed and jellyfish.




 A couple of days were cool at the beach but a small fire kept us warm.
 
 We stopped in to buy some wine at Newman's Winery.
What a beautiful setting with the water in the background.
 
Souris is an area that I spent lots of time growing up, since my grandmother and lots of aunts, uncles and cousins lived there. I never really appreciated its beauty until I got older. The eastern part of the PEI is stunningly beautiful and it was so great to spend some extended time there, although it went by much too quickly.


I loved being able to have Beaufort with us on vacation, as I'm always stressed when we leave him behind. He was a little confused and agitated the first day but settled in nicely. He loved the beach and his naps with his dad:)

We did lots of paddleboarding. Mostly Steph but I really enjoyed it too.
 

I'd love to do it again next year. Even though I've been off all summer, I never feel quite as relaxed at home as I felt there. I read a book, ate way too much, paddled the waves, walked the beaches, ran the dirt roads, roasted marshmallows, stayed up late, woke up early.. it was great.

Now back to reality. I officially start back to work a week from today but I'm heading in this morning to start setting up my classroom!

6 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! I've barely spent any time on the eastern portion of the island (most of my fam is in Charlottetown or West Prince) - this makes me want to trek east!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have always dreamed of going there- so beautiful! i have a weird infatuation with canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so fantastic. We had to skip a vacation this year because of those darn gutters so I am living vicariously through you. I love the pics of Beaufort. We try to bring our pups along with us when we can too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The photo of Beaufort napping with your DH is priceless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks beautiful and so relaxing! My husband and I made it up to Maine this year, and I really wanted to visit PEI. We are going to have to make it up there eventually on another trip. I'm enchanted with the island from L.M. Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so beautiful. I have yet to properly explore the east coast but it is moving up on my list!

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)