Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Little DIY

I promised last week to post some DIY projects. I have several I would like to share so I've decided to spread them out over a few weeks.

I love a good project and I'll admit some have totally worked out for me and some have totally not, but the process is always fun. I plan to share the good and the bad. Some projects are super easy and quick to do and others a little more time consumming.

First off this week are my embroidery hoops. I am always looking for things to put on the wall that don't cost an arm and a leg. This one seemed simple enough and woudn't break the bank since I had lots of fabric on hand.

All you need is:
embroidery hoops (couple of dollars each)
enough different fabrics as you have hoops (I am a collector of fabric, although I cannot sew)
fabric glue
scissors
That's it!

1. Cut a piece of fabric about an 2 inches larger around than the circumference of the hoop. Make sure to cut the pattern you wish to display.
2. Place fabric in the hoop. Pull taught.
3. On the wrong side, run a bead of glue along the inside of the hoop, next to the fabric.
4. Press fabric into glue. Let dry.

5. Trim fabric all the way around.
6. Hang on the wall. I suggest laying it out on the floor first to get the pattern you want.
Voila!


Cheap, easy, cute artwork for any room - office, craft room, baby room, or in my case, back entrance. I don't know if I'll keep it permanently but it is something on the wall for now. I wish the fabrics were a bit brighter colors but you work with what you have! I have accumulated more fabric since so I may have to pick up some hoops and keep adding to it.

It looks really cute in kid rooms.



*images via ohdeedoh

Try it out!

7 comments:

  1. Love it! I was just going through my fabrics wondering what to do with some of them.
    Thanks
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Jane! I will definitely want to do this in Mr. Delicious's room:)
    rae

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! It is seriously super easy! I miss you Rae. I think we are at the midway point of our summer vacation and it makes me sad:( We should get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I especially love them in a nursery. I can't sew either but I really want to learn. My grandma says its easy. I say if she can learn how to use the internet, I can learn to sew:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how you do them, I tought you had bought them, very well made.Could you do some for me in my room? Not kiding.

    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are too cute Gaby. Of course we can make some for your room!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!!! Stealing:)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)