Wednesday, June 2, 2010

STAIRCASE SOLUTIONS

One project I have in mind for the summer is fixing up my staircase. In the beginning, the stairs were in rough shape to say the least.

I had the treads refinished when the floors were done and I painted out the risers and trim white. Stephane showed me how to put mouldings on the wall to make it look like recessed panels. It looks a thousand times better than it did.


My plan was always to paint the ballusters white as well and put a dark stain on the banister. However, lately I'm inspired by all white railings and think maybe I should go that way. Well actually, I'll be honest. Painting it all out would be the easiest solution because I have this to contend with:
Keep in mind there are 48 ballusters. They meet up with the handrail so how would you ever tape that off?

So what do you prefer?

White ballusters and dark handrail?

via decorpad
via decorpad

or all white?


via sarah richardson

via decorpad

In the end I don't know if I could really paint it all. It seems too permanent. But it really would be so much easier and I kinda like it.
Also, since we are on the subject of stairs. Iif I ever build a house I would totally do this:


I think it's genius!

3 comments:

  1. I'm having the same debate. Dark railing is nice if your not the one painting it. I think I'm going for all white.
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that last staircase IS genius!!! So cool and practical, love it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)