Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Things I've Discovered.

I've been reflecting lately on what I've learned both from blogging and from renovating/decorating my home. 
I compiled a little list...

Things I've Discovered

1. That every color is my favorite color. For instance, I will never again say that I hate yellow. 
I am currently loving it and would have vehemently denied it 6 months ago.



2. That paint can hide a multitude of sins. It's possibly my dearest friend.
This was seriously hideous prior to pretty soft blue paint.
3. That I'm not one for cleaning up after projects. Paint brushes are a buck at the Dollarama and are actually pretty good. I just throw them away after. I'll spend a dollar over cleaning brushes any day!

4. That I have a huge appreciation for artists. I thought abstract painting was easy. 
It's clearly not. You need talent! Believe me.. I've tried:)

5. That I really need a good camera. My blog will thank me. (This is me justifying a major purchase).

6. That I should not fear a power tool. Knowing how to do it yourself saves you time instead of waiting for someone to help you out. I'm still working on this one.

7. That I am spatially unaware. I wasted A LOT of wood when trying to cut 45 degree angles for my wainscoting on the stairs. Seriously. It was ridiculous and I felt incredibly dumb.


8. That I don't think I will ever clearly define my personal style. 
I'm constantly inspired by completely different looks.
Inspiration is everywhere!













I'd love to hear some of what you have learned!

Also, a big thank you to Carol at The Design Pages for nominating me for the One Lovely Blog award along with some other Canadian bloggers. Thanks Carol!


20 comments:

  1. great post!...i have learned lots just like you. although i thing my greatest learning is call in a professional when you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you about yellow. And as for the stairs - you did that yourself? So impressive - off to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto on yellow! i would have said i hated yellow 6 months ago, and NOW my nightstands are yellow and my front door is canary yellow! who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Definitely agree! I've met so many fab people since I started blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha!! I'm spatially unaware too!! The first time we painted the house, I had to calculate how much paint we needed. I used the tools on the paint website, but apparently I was WAY off in calculating my wall area (and I design houses for a living!! I am constantly calculating floor space!!)... we ended up purchasing DOUBLE the paint we required!! (so, naturally, my grandpa's cabin got a few gallons, as well as my brother's house and my cousin's place....and we still have some of the hideous color left over -- everyone else got white added to the cans to have the color softened!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These pretty much describe me perfectly...I don't have a favorite color, and I'm way too indecisive when I try to choose colors for things! And I will never be able to define my own personal style...there is just too much pretty inspiration out there to be boxed into one style.

    Love your blog, by the way! And love that hutch. Gorgeous!

    xoxo,
    Joelle
    www.wherewelove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed w/ everyone else - great post! I've learned not to be afraid of color in the home. And also the power of spray paint! I'm sure I could come up with lots of others but those are the ones off the top of my head. I may have to post on this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the list, Jane! I, too, have realized that every color is my favorite color. Case in point: my current obsession with all things brassy and gold (seriously? gold??)!

    My favorite fact about renovating is that every project takes on average twice as long as you think it should!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am getting so good at working power tools!!

    And as far as the camera, I think your photos are always great!!

    Blog On!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's so true--we're exposed to such great design every single day with blogs so I've found my style is constantly changing/evolving. And because of that I've learned to shop second hand or major sales to get things I love. Shoot, why pay full price for something that you can find on Craigslist for a fraction of the cost? And once it's out, we'll move on to the next big thing and not feel bad about it:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with absolutely every one of those points. My daughter is always trying to force me to chose my "favourite". It's so frustrating to a kid to hear that they're all my favourite. You are so welcome for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list, I too need to get a new (much better camera) and beautiful blog! Just popping by to let you know I linked to one of your older posts (jewelry storing ideas) on mine today. Cheers!

    http://mylifeinalabcoat.blogspot.com/2011/06/jewelry-storage-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE this post. I totally agree with you on everything. I have also learned to look at things I would have ordinarily cast off differently and think how I can paint or repurpose them. And I've developed an obsession with fabrics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow those stairs are stunning. I LOVE this post as well. I never wash a paintbrush and I have a style change or evolution on a daily basis!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yes I am in LOVE with yellow right now!

    Luvs

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post. I can relate to so many things you said like the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this post. My fav color is alwasy changing and I keep telling myself I need a new camera to take pictures of my projects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree with many of these statements, especially the ones about paint and a good camera! My eyes have been opened to many new things since becoming a part of the blogosphere. One of the newer things I've been hearing so much about is this Pinterest site! Which I still haven't gotten around to checking out yet...

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww i {love} this blog! I'm a new follower of your blog. I'm a teacher blogger at

    anotherdayinfirstgrade.blogspot.com

    mrs tabb =)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)