Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Island Architecture Tuesday ~ Gothic Revival

I've been reading a lot about architecture on Prince Edward Island, after my resolution to learn a little more about it. This post is intended only to be my own insights on what I appreciate and what intrigues me with regards to historic homes here in PEI.
Likely what interests me the most is the what makes Island architecture so unique. We live in an coastal climate which brings heavy rain/snow and high winds. Historically, homes were built to shelter from the elements. Perhaps, nestled behind a tree line or in a protected harbour.
Also, the economy had an influence on the style of home and its practicality. Some of the more elaborate homes were built during the Shipbuilding and the Silver Fox Breeding era.

An example of this would be the Victorian period. Not unlike the rest of North America, this period (approx. 1837-1901) introduced increasingly elaborate architectural style in Prince Edward Island.

In the beginning, there was a rise in the Gothic Revival (ell farmhouse). This is likely the the house style most identified with Prince Edward Island. The rectangular farmhouse with pointed arches, steeply pitched gables and lacy gingerbread trim. While mainly found in rural settings, there are some in both Summerside and Charlottetown.

Some examples of these homes include:
Watermere House, Charlottetown, built by William Harris 1877
 
Historic Yeo House, Green Park, PEI

e
Lefurgey Cultural Centre in Summerside, built in 1868 by William Tuplin

PEI is looking very much like the first picture these days. It was -35 degrees today! I'm looking forward to warmer temperatures... See you next Tuesday!
And don't forget to sign up for the CSN giveaway!

6 comments:

  1. I love old houses!
    I wish they still built them like that now!
    Stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm CRAZY for the paint job on the Watermere House... one of our neighbors has a similar navy/ocean blue with crisp white trim. LOVE it. (Oh, and I'm in North America, western Massachusetts. Our neighborhood was mainly built in the early turn of the last century, and up to the 1920s and 30s. Love character homes.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathtaking!!! I love when the older homes also embrace color....it take the home to a whol new level of fabulous.

    Cheers~
    e

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you got your button working! Sorry it took so long for me to respond. I have comments moderated on posts that are older than 7 days and it had been a while since I signed on! Anyway, your button looks fantabulous and love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey. I love your blog, I found it on Bing and I think it very interesting. I’ll visit again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. I love learning a bit more about architectural styles. PEI is one of my favourite provinces - so pretty - and I enjoyed learning more about the house styles.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)