Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Base Cabinet Color.

If you are a regular reader of this blog you may know that I have been back and forth about whether or not I should go with a two toned cabinet look in the kitchen. I have repainted my upper cabinets in a soft white and held off on painting the base cabinets until I was sure about what I wanted to do.



After painting the walls (BM Intense White), I knew that going darker on the cabinets was the right decision. However, then came the next challenge: finding the right color!

I started out less daring in my thinking and contemplated BM Coventry Gray. Then realized it just wasn't dark enough to make an impact. Go big or go home!

I came across this photo of a kitchen designed by Meredith Heron. I searched and searched for the colors used on the cabinets to no avail. I decided to tweet my question, secretly hoping that she may see it and respond. Lo and behold, she did! She was so helpful and provided me with the colors. They are Pratt and Lambert Seed Pearl on the uppers and Stone's Throw on the lowers, in case you were curious!



Of course, since it's never a good idea to pick a color based on what you see online, I went out in search for the chip. Good thing I did because although it's a pretty color, it's not the one for me. Looks quite purple in my kitchen.

Source: decorati.com via Katy on Pinterest

Long story short, I've decided on Benjamin Moore Whale Gray. Is it the right choice? Time will tell!

8 comments:

  1. Very pretty, glad you decided to step out of the box a bit and paint the lowers.
    Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool that she gave you the colors. I have a kitchen remodel coming up in a couple months and I have that exact same photo pinned on my inspiration board. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. I love the two toned look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see them when you're all finished. I love that look with the lighter in top & the dark on bottom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo Hoo!! Can't wait to see! Great looking color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's the colour of my kitchen walls! Great choice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I can't wait to see the results... I'm sure it will look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gray is completely underutilized in kitchen designs so bravo for going for it. We recently used a warm pale gray for the walls in a kitchen with medium walnut cabinets and are very happy. Funny that your first attempt looked purple - we also had samples that made some unexpected transformations once in the space: mauve, green, blue. Gray can be a lot of different things depending on the lighting and surroundings.

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)